Thursday, October 11, 2012

First leg's over

I've started my journey down to Florida. I did about 25 miles yesterday, from New Bern to a marina near havelock. Good news, it was free beer night! Bad news, it was $45 to dock there. I set sail at around 9:00 this morning, with about 20kt wind across my beam. All was well until I got seriously rocked by the wake of a Navy vessel and heeles a little too far for my comfort. I righted myself, only to be rocked by another large boat with no concern for the measley sailboat it was passing, and decided that it would be better if I took down my jib for a while to make it a bit easier to handle in the busy waters of the Beaufort area. I made it out past morehead city to ICW marker 12 when my depth finder.decided that it didn't feel like working anymore. Shouldn't be a problem I figured, I'll just follow the markers. No sooner had I finished that thought than I ran aground on a shoal just past marker 13. I tried everything to free myself, but to no avail. I ended up calling the coast gaurd for a tow. They sent out a boat and got me unstuck, after which they told me the price. $643! Good news was, I'm a member of BOATU.S. and they have a tow plan. Bad news is, my tow plan membership only covers $50. So I paid half and told him to bill me the rest. After that I was on my way, but there was no wind! I sat there, stubbornly refusing to bring down my sails and motor, as a 32' Catamaran passed me by, happily motoring along, making gestures to me to see if I was alright. "I'm alright, just stubborn to the point of idiocy some times" I thought as I watched them glide away. Finally, I came to my senses and realized that I'd never make swansboro by sundown if I didn't motor. So I cranked my outboard and was on my way. I did enjoy the company of some passing dolphins and a few Marine Corps CH-53 helicopters. I pulled in to Dudley's Marina in swansboro at around 6:15 and am glad to be able to rest for a while... after I go to the bar :)




No comments:

Post a Comment