Tuesday, October 23, 2012

What do batteries, anchors, and glowsticks have in common?

After my adventure getting in to Charleston, I rested for the evening, and in the morning, went out to a grocery store to restock my galley. After carrying about 30 pounds of canned goods back to the boat, I shoved off and was on my way. I had set my heart on making it to Edisto Island before I stopped. At around 6pm, I realized that I wouldn't make it to Edisto by sundown, and decided to continue on into the night. About three hours later, I was five miles from Edisto Marina, and my batteries were completely dead. I was navigating with a chart and flashlight, and trying my hardest to find the green and red markers along the channel. I reached the turning point to the Marina, and wisely decided to drop anchor for the night rather than continue on. Luckily, the previous owner of my boat thought ahead, and kept several glow-sticks on board, I used these to mimic my now-dead running lights and anchor light. In the morning, I called Edisto Marina, to make sure that they had a spot for me, they did. I studied the chart of the area quickly, and determined that I had a pretty good idea of how to get there. Boy was I wrong! The St. Helena Sound is probably the most poorly marked body of water I've crossed so far on my trip. There were markers where there should be no markers, incorrectly numbered markers, and absolutely no "danger" bouys to designate the numerous shoals in the area. There's no way I could have made this trip blind at night. I arrived at the marina shortly after 1pm, and have been tackling several projects since then. I'm planning on leaving from here to go offshore tomorrow and try to make Hilton Head or further depending on the wind and my speed.

No comments:

Post a Comment